Thursday, January 29, 2009

Heat acclimation: running

I just ran about 2 kilometres in a touch under 9 minutes (close on my best time for this course), in 40+C heat. I don't know exactly what the temperature is, but my best guess is somewhere up around 45. Oh, and being out in the blazing sun helps.

For those who think I'm crazy:
-I made sure I was very well-hydrated before I started - drank lots of cold water and a bit of Gatorade for the salts.
-Most importantly, I soaked a t-shirt in cold water and wore that. It was still quite damp when I got home
-I've drunk half a litre of Gatorade since I got home, and a fair bit of ice-cold water (like, with lots of ice floating around in it).
-I'm going for a cold shower now.

Still haven't heard back about that job, but that should happen soon. Oh, and Ele's about to be back in Australia. Words cannot express... *dances*

7 comments:

Rene said...

You're crazy, mate!
With temps like that you should take it easy indoors where the A/C cools you ;-)

Counting the minutes I suppose?!

musicalemotion said...

Actually, we don't have A/C. Getting it installed soon, but we don't have it yet.

I would be counting the minutes, but I don't know them. I do know when she's flying into Melbourne, though, a few weeks from now... :D

Cami said...

Madman! Especially without air conditioning to come home to! Y'know, if you're going to run, I'd recommend running in the early morning or after the sun sets - sometime when it's not so dangerously hot!

I also can't believe Ele's almost back. Three months went by so quickly!

Rene said...

*LOL*
Guess you are going to count those minutes then *grin*

Denise said...

I don't think you're crazy. *giggle* You took precautions at least. XD

*wants to see pictures of happy dance... ;) ...*

musicalemotion said...

Prosey: Precautions are wonderful things, are they not? ;-)

Oh, and would you settle for a video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcOZ6xFxJqg

Denise said...

ROFL!!! Way to take me back to teenage-dom! XD Kickass song!